While most commercial roofing is designed to withstand the elements, leaks and damage can occur over time. The best way to deal with leaks and water damage is to prevent them before they happen. Even if you live in a mostly sunny climate, rain does happen. The weather may not be controllable, but the better prepared you are, the better off your commercial or industrial building will be.
Top Tips to Prevent Roof Leaks and Water Damage
Small leaks can turn into big problems, such as rotting wood, mildew and mold as well as larger leaks. Most small leaks are not easily detected to the untrained eye which is why it is important to schedule regular roof inspections for your property. When it comes to leaking protection and prevention, here are the top tips to remember:
- Regular inspections: Hire a professional contractor to perform an inspection of your roof periodically. They are better trained to identify small problems and potential dangers and can repair them before they get worse.
- Damaged shingles: Should you notice any damaged or missing shingles, you need to get these replaced immediately.
- Gutters: In the event, there is any snowfall or ice, be sure to check your roofing for ice dams as these can block your gutters and allow backwater to flow under the shingles.
- Flashing: The majority of leaks occur at the flashing but the good news is that repairs and replacement are simple. So long as you regularly check the flashing, you can prevent small leaks from turning into larger ones around your chimneys and vents.
- Plants and Trees: Trees and shrubs welcome algae and moss so need to be kept at a distance from your building. While they do add a certain aesthetic appeal, they need to be kept far enough away from the building so as not to spread mold or scratch the roof surface.
No matter how prepared you are, know that leaks can still happen. If you notice a leak in any part of your building, contact us right away. We will inspect the damage and offer a full evaluation of the work you need. We guarantee to get your roof back to optimal with as little disruption to your business as possible.