Proper maintenance of your building’s roof is essential for the safety of the occupants and to ensure longevity. Extensive damage that is not taken care of can result in structural damage to both the interior and exterior of your building. The best way to avoid these costly damages is to perform annual inspections. You can look over your roof initially to identify any trouble areas, but ideally, you need to hire a professional to thoroughly inspect for serious and underlying problems.
Most people do not realize that much of a roof’s damage comes from the inside so checking the condition of the attic is essential. Make sure all insulation is in optimal condition and repair or replace any areas that need upgrading. Humidity can become trapped in a poorly insulated attic, and this leads to structural damage to the roof and building interior. Adding additional insulation is also a great way to prevent humid air from collecting and lowers your energy bills.
When it comes time to look at the exterior roofing, there are a few key things to look for. Should you notice any problems such as those listed below, contact a professional roofer to come and perform a full inspection. These are troublesome signs that you need to bring to a roofer’s attention right away:
- Broken or curled shingles, especially around the edges of the roof where they are more prone to lift and wear
- Buildup of debris along the surface and at the edges or gutters, which can interfere with proper water drainage. Pooled water causes leakage into the interior of the building
- Look for moss growth which could indicate the presence of rot below the surface
- Cracking or missing sealant along the vents, skylights and flashing
- Blistering of materials, which indicates insulation problems as well as material defects
- Loose, broken or missing shingles will leave exposed spaces and should be repaired or replaced right away
If the repairs are small such as repairing missing or broken shingles, then you can likely handle this yourself. For any more extensive damages or wear, you need to bring in a professional to conduct an additional inspection. Often a complete roofing replacement is needed and this is best left to us. Call us today if you notice any roofing problems and we will perform an inspection and offer the best solution for you.