Though your commercial roof providers may guarantee you a lifelong impeccable performance, unfortunately sometimes it is far from the reality. With time, your commercial roofs may start developing minor problems and other issues.
Also, imperfect installation along with a poor maintenance may affect the longevity of your roof. Often, it might not cost a lot when it comes to roof repair, if you identify the problems at the very beginning. If the membrane is in good shape or the roof has good insulation, your repair costs will probably be a minor one.
You can see hundreds of such roofs in dire need of attention and repair. Some of the common roofing problems that we commonly encounter are:
- Leakage: Damp portions and ceilings and walls getting slowly discoloured are one of the earliest signs of leakage and water getting seeped into your building.
- Lack of maintenance: many people often neglect the primary tasks of inspecting their roofs on a regular basis. If you keep an eye on the details, you can actually save yourself from repairing issues,
- Overflowing gutters: damp, rotten wood and other things like damaged brickwork can easily block your gutters. So make sure you get your gutters cleaned regularly.
- Pests: birds often pick off tiny bits of your roof and also add some of their chosen materials like stones, sticks and their droppings.
How To Go About Replacing Your Roof?
However when you have a damaged commercial roof, you are generally left with around four choices:
- Repair: some of your commercial issues may actually be minor and more or less simple. You may see that it is more or less in good shape with proper insulation. They would demand a repair which would eventually extend its life and you don’t necessarily have to replace it.
- Re-cover: you may think of re-covering your roof which is one of the most effective ways to mend an almost sound roof. If your roof has one membrane, you can think of putting another on top of it. This is economical and does not involve huge costs or massive disruption. You may also get new extended warranties of your roof.
- Coating: Coating extends your roof life. Your building is exposed to heat and UV rays over the years because of which materials may break down. Coating increases UV and waterproofing protection for the roof.
- Replace: And if nothing else works out, replace. Replacing is the only alternative if you have already re-covered the roof once before. It ensures long term benefits. So if you plan to keep the building for a really long time, the best option is to replace it.
Last but never the least comes the importance of having a regularly maintained roof. This would ensure that the problems don’t escalate. Research has shown that in many cases, huge amount of money and effort on repairs could have been easily averted with simple inspection. So, just be aware and watch out! For instance, let’s talk about roof restoration!
Roof repair can be quite costly if you do not act in the beginning. Roof restoration costs depend on the extent of damage to your roof, but will be significantly lower than say a roof replacement cost.
Roof cleaning – Cleaning your roof doesn’t just help your building look good it helps to identify any roof damage in the initial stages as well. The right experts know just what you need, and can help you with your regular cleaning needs.
Warning signs of Roof Damage:
Even if you get a slight hint that your roof may be damaged or is falling apart, then you should look for a roofing contractor to hire. The following are indications that something might be wrong:
- Aged Roof: If your roof was built a long time ago, it is time for some standard repairs.
- Damaged Shingles: If the shingles are curling or buckling, then you might be in trouble. Also, keep an eye out to see if all the shingles are there.
- Daylight filtering in: As poetic as it may sound, this means that there are cracks which need to be taken care of as soon as possible.