It is only a matter of time before the summer is here. And with the summer comes heat that can be damaging for your commercial roof. Flat surfaces like commercial roofing are often hit hard by summer heat waves and if you are not prepared, you may end up with serious damage and expenses. Continual UV exposure weakens your roofing and reduces its ability to maintain its barrier. Heat is also the number one reason that seams come apart and cracks form along commercial roofing surfaces. This will be a big problem when the weather cools, and if any rain is in the forecast, these cracks can lead to expensive damage from leaking.
Preparing Your Commercial Roof for the Summer Heat
The first thing you need to do to prepare for the warm summers is to fully inspect your roofing system. Identifying if there are already any problems will mean less expensive repairs down the road. Fixing problems early will save money and protect your investment. Both the interior and the exterior of the roof need to be inspected to evaluate its ability to withstand summer sun exposure.
The signs to look for that indicate your roof may need repairs include:
- Cracks, blisters, or punctures in the roof membrane
- Discolored or water-stained walls and ceilings
- Cracks in walls and parapets
- Raised or deteriorated areas on the walls below the roof deck
- Nails or screws coming through the membrane
- Loose, damaged or buckled flashing
- Damaged or missing caulking along masonry panel joints
- Gaps in caulking around any units on the roof (chimney or HVAC)
- Bald or bare spots where UV reflective granules are missing
Regular inspection will allow you to identify any of these problems before the summer heat arrives. This way you can get any damage repaired and ensure your roofing will be strong to withstand any heat. This will save you money down the road and prevent expensive damages. Inspection and regular maintenance is also the best way to extend the life of your commercial roofing, to ensure you get the most from your investment.