Replacing a roof is a big decision and requires thought and preparation. There are a number of options for you so you need to research all possibilities to get the best service on your budget. Your roof is susceptible to everyday wear and tear and with changing weather conditions through the year, the damage is likely to occur over time. Before you replace your roof, there are a few things you should consider.
5 Things You Need to Know When Replacing Your Roof
- Re-roofing: You can decide to re-roof over existing roofing rather than removing the old roof and installing a new one. This is usually cheaper but it can cause additional problems. Heat can build up between the old materials and the new ones, which will create moisture which will build up and may cause serious damage.
- Measure first: You need to measure your roof first before replacing it to make sure you do not pay any more than necessary. A professional roofing contractor will provide accurate measurements so you only buy the materials that you need. Once you know the measurements you can decide on the material and style you want and chose what fits in your budget.
- Ventilation: Making sure you have proper ventilation is the best way to ensure that your roof will last. Ventilation helps keep temperatures regulated in the attic area. In the summer, the roof will be cooler and during the winter, moisture cannot build up. Find out what ventilation options are available so you can get the one that will keep your roof in optimal condition for longer.
- Materials: Many materials go into roofing solutions. There are wood and sealant under rubber membranes and a top material of your choice. Placing new materials over the older underlying ones, without care can cause damage. You need a roofer to inspect the full condition of the roof before replacing it. If the underlying foundations are weakened, the new top materials will be a waste as damage can still occur below.
- Reputation: For any roofing project, you need to work with a reliable, experienced, and professional roofer. There are many to choose from, so do some research and hire a roofer that has the experience to make sure your roof is installed or repaired correctly. Have a roofer come and inspect the property and provide an estimate before hiring anyone. You can also check reviews from previously satisfied customers to find a quality roofer for the job.
Before investing in an expensive roof replacement make sure you need one. You need to contact a licensed and experienced roofer to inspect the property so they can advise if you need repairs or replacement. We will evaluate your roofing situation and advise the best solutions for your roof and your budget. We can also offer you roof maintenance plans so you can get the most from your roof and delay any needed replacement.